Now adding a 17th title to her trophy case, Serena did something, well many things that either she’s never done or hasn’t been done before at all (not exhaustive).
– She had never defended a US Open title but has now checked that off.
– She received the largest one-time payout in the history of the sport, at $3.6 million in prize money.
– She lost the fewest games of any US Open winner’s campaign
– She has come the closest than any other active woman has or likely ever will come to matching the records of all time greats like Martina Navratilova and Chris Evert.
– She has matched Roger Federer’s record 17 Slams on the men’s side
All those feats by the world no. 1 taken together, plus those not mentioned, have convinced many that she is the official GOAT (greatest of all time). The holdouts that are left are shy about assigning her the title because she has at the very least, one and at the most eight more Slam titles to go before she matches are breaks Slam records set by “the greats” of yesterday when things were a little different.
Read more here: EURWEB.COM
Photos by: AP Images/Serena Williams